RISE's Rhythm of Life is not a new idea. For over 2,000 years, followers of Jesus have tried to "live into” covenants (promises to God, community, and self) as an essential part of their journey into the heart of God. As a community, we believe that “living into” this Rhythm of Life will lead to more vibrant and life-giving relationships with God, the Harrisonburg community, the RISE community and within our personal lives. The term “Rhythm of Life” has its roots in ancient Christian history and is not meant to be legalistic or rigid in any way. The Rhythm is about the journey, about discovery, about transformation, and (most of all) about grace. We take it seriously, realizing that it is a gift that can root us and center us in the midst of a chaotic world. We also realize that God's “rhythm” is second chances, joy and abundant life. This isn't about passing or failing ... it's about transformation. If you have any questions about the Rhythm of Life, email us at email@example.com.
- We will pray daily.
- We will use a variety of forms of prayer such as
- the reflective reading of Scripture
- confession (honesty in prayer about our personal and communal pain and brokenness)
- intercession (intentional prayers for the world, our community, the RISE community and others in our lives)
- journaling and
- intentional times of stillness and listening to God.
- We will use a variety of resources for prayer that will help us connect with God and each other (i.e. Common Prayer, The Book of Common Prayer, prayers from the Taizé and Iona communities).
- We will fast regularly. (Fasting is creating space for God to move in the midst of our very full lives. This might include going without technology, media, spending money or food for a defined period of time.)
- We will intentionally listen to the pain and hope in our community and how God is moving within.
- We will embrace and embody Christ’s open arms within and beyond our community. We believe that everyone means everyone.
- We will be active within our faith community through participation in worship, mission (connecting with the pain and possibility of our community and our world), embracing (invitational living and embrace groups) and leadership development.
- We will honor and care for the gift of the earth and its resources, practicing ecologically responsible living and striving for simplicity rather than excessive consumption.
- We will practice generosity in sharing our material resources, including money, within and beyond this community.
- We will acknowledge the gifts of all people and will use our own gifts, talents and abilities to serve God within and beyond this community.
- We will serve God and others because we’re thankful that God loves us all.
- We will hold each other accountable (honesty + love) within and beyond the community.
- We will practice regular Sabbath (intentional time to rest, play and recharge) as a means of renewal so that we can lovingly serve God and others.
- We will practice reconciliation (honesty + forgiveness + really hard work) wherever we see division in our lives, our community and the world.
- We will resist evil and injustice in our lives, our community and the world.
- We will pursue peace with justice in our lives, our community and the world.
- We will invite others along the journey, sharing the good news of our universe-mending God.
I commit to this rhythm of life and to the well being of this community, out of gratitude to God who forgives, heals, and makes all things new. May my life be a blessing within God’s global community, for the transformation of the world.